Tuesday, November 5, 2019

How Big is My Online Footprint?

How Big is My Personal Online Footprint?
Photo Credit to WoBlogger.com


As a college student and an up-and-coming Motorsports journalist, exactly how large is my online footprint? How in-depth is publicly-accessible data on my personal interests, my political views, private information, or my friends/family? 

As a writer and editor for TSJ101Sports.com, I am a content creator for that website, as well as very active on both their NASCAR Department's Twitter and my personal account. In addition, I am active on Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. 

I would say that my activity is mostly centered on Twitter, where I post racing news among other information daily. I would then list Instagram as my second-most used social media app, though I hardly post on it. I would put Facebook next, as I only use Facebook to post photo albums and be a member of various groups. 

Have I been careful with what information I do or do not post publicly or give to these social media companies? I would say that I am very privy to keeping my personal information close to the vest now, but I was not when I first joined these apps. As a result, most of my social media is racing-centric rather than personal data. 

I have given my personal Gmail address to each of the aforementioned apps, as emails are required to log in. I have since unsubscribed from email updates, as they were a constant barrage in my inbox. 

As a result, some but not much personal information can be found from my social media profiles. Since I am nowadays much less prone to post semi-private data, detecting my personal info would take some digging back into the past. 

As a racing journalist, having an online social media presence is now a part of the job description. However, my career choice does not mean that I am able to post whichever personal information I want, big tech companies are still to not be trusted with some matters. It is certainly a difficult balance to determine what I should or should not post publicly, let alone share with social media apps. 

Photo credit to WoBlogger.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment